Vancouver’s False Creek is by far one of the city’s most sought after places to buy real estate in. False Creek is a small inlet which flows through the heart of downtown Vancouver after entering from English Bay. It separates downtown Vancouver from the rest of the city. It is spanned by three bridges and borders downtown Vancouver.
False Creek is the crown jewel of Vancouver. It is a great success story of modern urban planning. Visitors to False Bay cannot help but be impressed by the beauty and charm of the location while strolling through the area, gazing up at the high rise residential buildings and walking around the sea wall.
Over the past decade, the False Bay area has become a hot bed for high rise residential buildings and also some commercial infrastructure. It has become one of the most sought after places to buy Vancouver real estate. False Creek Real Estate has always been in high demand due to its location on the water front and its prime location as the separator of False Creektown and downtown Vancouver from the rest of the city. It is on the water front and is close to Broadway. It is ideal for shopping as well as transit, and is close to the police headquarters, which gives added peace of mind.
Some of the best places to buy real estate in Vancouver’s False Creek are:
1. Mariners Walk – Right on the waterfront at the lagoons, this is a great spot to buy Vancouver real estate. You get marina, mountain, and prime water views.
2. Moberly Road – This location is in the heart of False Creek. With a short walk to the Seawall, you can stroll around the area and enjoy the fabulous restaurants and cafes.
3. Spyglass Place – Another dream location on the waterfront. This neighbourhood overlooks the water and the North Shore Mountains.
4. Island Park Walk – This locality offers tranquil views of the marinas. It also overlooks the mountains and offers city views.
5. Wheelhouse Square – This is a turnkey area on the waterfront and has spectacular views of the creek with the city skyline in the background. One of the best places to buy real estate, without a doubt.
6. Pennyfarthing Drive – This beautiful, peaceful and tranquil neighbourhood has some of the best residential buildings. A great place to live in and escape from the bustle of the city.
7. Scantlings – Another great residential location in the heart of the suburb, Scantlings is a stone’s throw away from the Seawall.
False Creek is very popular as a boating area. Many activities such as canoeing, pleasure boating, and dragon boating take place here, and there are charter ships and public ferries as well. It is home to several boat rental facilities, paddling clubs as well as ten marinas that have berths for more than a thousand water craft. Hundreds of canoeists, kayakers, dragon boaters and rowing enthusiasts converge upon the creek every day.
On calm days, False Creek is an ideal place to lay anchor, although boaters should be advised that the westerly wind can be quite nippy during the winter and can tear through the creek at speeds exceeding 40 knots. You should drop your anchor in relatively shallow spots near the Cambie Street Bridge docks. As it is not a thoroughfare, you will not find boat traffic going through it. Boats are only found mooring or docking in the creek. It is easy to manoeuvre boats in the creek at speeds of up to one knot per hour.
Boaters seeking to stay for long in the creek can do so by moving their boats to one of the aforementioned marinas, after their allotted anchoring time has elapsed. Boaters looking to do so should contact the False Creek Welcome Centre before their arrival in order to commence the permit application process. The well managed anchoring and boat management process is one of the many features and benefits of boating in the creek.
The Southeast False Creek is named after its position in reference to the main creek inlet. The False Creek lands were once part of inter tidal marshland flats, and were subsequently converted into lands for industrial use. One of the main features of the Southeast False Creek area is that this area has Vancouver’s first renewable heating system. This system provides heat as well as hot water to all the area’s buildings and residents, including those in the newly built Olympic Village. This is North America’s first instance of heat being recovered from waste water and being used as the principal energy source for an urban neighborhood. False Creek real estate is a direct beneficiary of this facility.
The newly built Olympic Village is located at the south east end of False Creek. The Village is destined to house several thousand athletes as well as officials from all over the world, when the 2010 Winter Olympics take place in Vancouver. The Vancouver real estate market has received a shot in the arm due to the forthcoming Winter Olympics. Walking along the water in False Creek is a great experience, and living there is a dream come true.